Sunday, May 1, 2016

All that glitters is not gold - Solo travelling

All that glitters is not gold or shall we say the grass is greener on the other side. The fad Solo travelling. I am a solo traveller, I love solo travelling blah blah blah

I am attempting to put my thoughts on definition of solo travelling, pros and cons of solo travelling and a different perspective on this running fad of living a nomadic life.

Let's get the facts right about solo travelling


If you are travelling with a friend its not a solo travelling
If you are travelling with family its not a solo travelling
If you are travelling with groups who organizes trips and you don't know anyone in the trip initially, its not a solo travelling
If you do the part of the trip alone and a part of the trip with the group...well I am not sure if its solo trip, unnn may be its partial solo trip ;)
Are you thinking, has she lost it? Why is she explaining what is solo travelling. BECAUSE I honestly know so many people who have done these above and called themselves solo traveller! Why? Because it sounds cool , you know!

Now, I like travelling. I love travelling. I try to travel twice a year once within India and once out of India and I try to make one of my trip adventurous in some way let it be biking, scuba diving, bungee jumping, Rafting.  During all these years, I have travelled alone - SOLO, I have travelled in the groups, I have travelled with my friends, I have travelled with my family. And guess what I enjoy least is SOLO travelling! Yes I am serious!

Why I don't like it

1) I have to always be very cautious
2) I have to plan much more and alot more
3) I land up wasting lot of time as sometimes, I have to choose my travel options in the morning and not in night
4) I have to miss lot of places to visit as safety becomes my first priority. I travelled to Uttarakhand and from Bheem pul, I wanted to go to Vasundhra falls but because I was alone and the place was deserted, my hotel owner asked me to avoid it. :(.
5) I have to lie to people whom I meet on my travel that I am not alone and my other friends are somewhere else and they will join me soon
6) I have to keep pepper spray and knife with me always
7) I land up wasting money alot more because if I reach some place a little later, I can't go around and find the best option to stay
8) I can't have a casual drink
9) I have to take pictures on timer mode or have to take only selfies
Selfie at Adam's peak - Sri Lanka 


Well  it definitely has some positives too
1) I can drink as many tea as I want and no one is there to question me
2) I can make my own itinerary and plan
3) I talk to strangers more and make friends
4) If your co travellers are not compatible with you - Let me tell you that trip is a disaster receipe! In that case solo travelling is definitely a better option!
5) I can concentrate more on clicking the pictures that I want rather than of people


But as you see my positives are way too less.

My stance on solo travelling is- If I am planning a travel, I will ask every person I am comfortable travelling with but if I don't find anyone I don't want to cancel my trip and not go at all and hence I would travel solo.

I am really not too sure what is this whole fad about travelling solo, living a nomadic life, being on road. After let's say a month of travelling, atleast I want to be back home, I want to be in the comfort of my bed, my relaxed cup of tea on my roof. And well I know people who have travelled so much that now if they have an option to spend a weekend travelling somewhere vs coming back home, they want to come back home

Come back home...
to those long conversations over a cup of tea
to that meal together
to that sleeping next to your loved one, holding their hands
to that hug of your loved one
to that touch of your child's hand to your fingers
to that moment of seeing your parents sleeping peacefully in their bed
to being in the arms of your loved one
to your loved one standing at the airport with flowers
to that first smile when you see your loved ones
to that first tear that trickles down your eyes because you have been far for long from your loved ones
to that face which you have seen only on skype and watsapp in past few days.

My Happy family at Uttarakhand


Aren't they important? Aren't they worth coming back home? In my opinion these small moments of impact are equally important as much is the standing on top of mountain and feeling a whiff of fresh air!

No comments:

Post a Comment